Answered By: Amanda Starkel
Last Updated: Jan 12, 2016     Views: 222

Reserves are materials that your professor has set aside for you at the Circulation Desk. These items can be checked out only for a short period of time (e.g., 4 hours) or usually must stay within the library when you are using the book/DVD/Reference. This gives all the students in the class sufficient time to use the material without anyone keeping it for weeks.

The Reference Collection does not circulate, so the items may not be checked out. They are usually books that people use to look up answers to questions or that have short articles that can be read in one sitting (e.g, encyclopedias, yearbooks...ect). The Reference Collection in Irwin Library is located on the main floor in the computer lab quad where the printers are located. The Music Reference section is located in the Music quad on the second floor. In the Science Library the Reference Section is located near the Circulation Desk.