Answered By: Sally Childs-Helton Last Updated: Jun 18, 2014 Views: 957
Butler University opened its doors in 1855 as North Western Christian University at the corner of College Avenue and 13th St. It moved to Irvington in 1875. In 1877, to honor its founder and supporter Ovid Butler, the name was changed to Butler University. In 1896, Butler University joined with the Indianapolis professional colleges—the medical school, the dental school, and the law school, to form the University of Indianapolis, with Butler University serving as its liberal arts college. At this point it became Butler College. The University of Indianapolis quietly disbanded by 1906, but the name of Butler College lasted until around 1925, when the school was contemplating a move from the Irvington campus to the third and current campus at Fairview Park. The Butler Drift of 1925 is the first to note the name change from college to university. The school moved to the Fairview Campus in 1928.